Well it seems most of the country has felt the effects of this so-called “polar-vortex“. Many places experienced record breaking low temperatures. Even here in Florida we got well below freezing last night, which doesn’t happen that often.
With all the cold weather a nice hot bowl of lentil soup is the perfect meal to warm up with.
Lentils come in a variety of colors and are full of protein and fiber. They are inexpensive and quick cooking so they are a great item to stock up on for quick and healthy dinner recipes.
Lentil soup is great on it’s own or serve it over brown rice for a heartier meal. I like to mix in a little sour cream with mine. For a vegetarian lentil soup substitute vegetable broth for the chicken broth.
Lentil soup is a quick, healthy and satisfying meal.
Write a review
- 1 Cup Dry Lentils, rinsed and sorted
- 1 Tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 Medium Onion, chopped
- 2 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 2 Carrots, shredded
- 14.5 Ounces Chicken Broth (or vegetable broth)
- 14.5 Oz Can Roasted Garlic Diced Tomatoes
- 1 Teaspoon Oregano
- 1/2 Teaspoon Cumin
- 1/4 Teaspoon Paprika
- 1/4 Teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1/8 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Saute the onion for a few minutes until softened and then saute the garlic and carrots for 30 seconds.
- Add in the tomatoes, chicken broth and lentils.
- Bring to a boil on medium-high heat and reduce heat to low.
- Simmer on low for 20 minutes.
- Add in spices and continue to cook for another 5-10 minutes or until desired tenderness.