Whoever came up with this Watermelon Cake idea is genius! Ever since I saw a picture of this on Pinterest I have been thinking about making it.
A watermelon is cut into the shape of a cake and then iced with fresh whipped cream. I was skeptical of how the whipped cream would stay on the cake since watermelon has a lot of water in it but just patting off the top and sides with a paper towel got it dry enough for the whipped cream to stick to the cake. I slightly over-whipped my cream as it looks a little grainy but it still tasted great and it held its shape with no problem.
It’s so refreshing to bite into this cake. The juicy melon combined with the cream, is the perfect summertime treat. The watermelon cake would make a great addition to summertime get togethers, BBQs, 4th of July…or anytime!
Any melon – cantaloupe or honeydew, I bet even pineapple could be used instead of watermelon. You could even make a layer cake by alternating the different melons and stacking them up with a layer of whipped cream in between! Any way you stack it or cut it, this cake is a winner!
Red White and Blue Watermelon Cake
Watermelon is cut into the shape of a cake, iced with fresh whipped cream and decorated with strawberries and blueberries.
Write a review
- 1 Watermelon, washed and dried
- Strawberries, washed and dried
- Blueberries, washed and dried
- 1 Cup of Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 Tablespoon Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 Teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- Place a mixing bowl into the freezer.
- Carefully slice off the top and bottom of the watermelon. Remove the rind and cut into the shape of a cake.
- Pat the top and sides of the watermelon with a paper towel until it's dry.
- Remove the mixing bowl from the freezer and add in the heavy whipping cream, sugar and vanilla extract.
- Whip cream for a few minutes until stiff peaks form. (Be careful not to over whip or your cream will turn into butter pretty quickly.)
- Ice the watermelon cake.
- Decorate with strawberries and blueberries.