What’s better than chocolate and coconut together in a chewy cookie? Well, maybe the fact that they have about half the fat, sugar and calories than an Almond Joy candy bar. Here’s the nutritional breakdown I got for each Almond Joy Cookie when I entered the recipe into a recipe calculator:
Calories: 48 Calories
Fat: 2.5 g
Sugar: 4.2 g
Hard to beat those numbers when it comes to a delicious cookie. I’ll take 2 please!
- 2 Egg Whites
- Dash of Salt
- 2/3 Cup Sugar
- 1/4 Teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 1/4 Cup Shredded Coconut (you can use sweetened, unsweetened or a combination)
- 1/2 Cup Chocolate Chips, melted
- 2 ounces Dry Roasted Almonds (about 40 almonds)
- Preheat oven to 325 F.
- Beat egg whites with a dash of salt until soft peaks form.
- Add in sugar a little at a time.
- Beat until stiff, glossy peaks form.
- Fold in coconut and vanilla.
- Drop onto a parchment lined baking sheet. I used a rounded teaspoon to measure out my cookies.
- Bake just until very slightly brown, about 10-15 minutes. The center will remain soft.
- Allow to cool.
- Melt chocolate in the microwave in 30 second increments at 50% power, stirring between each increment.
- Once the chocolate is melted use a spoon to drizzle/spread out chocolate on each cookie.
- Place in the refrigerator to allow chocolate to harden. Cookies will become nice and chewy.
- Store in the fridge for up to 5 days or freeze for longer storage.