Isn’t it great when you have all the right ingredients in your fridge and pantry to make what you are craving and at the same time use up leftovers?
That’s what happened last week when I was craving vegetable fried rice. The stars aligned and I had all I needed to put together this quick dish that’s way better than takeout (not to mention healthier too!)
I remember making fried rice for the first time way back in high school when I took a Food Production class.
Food Production was one of my favorite classes. It was always fun to cook and then get to eat our creations while in school! The classroom was split into 5 or 6 groups and each group had their own kitchen. Sometimes we would have competitions like Iron Chef where our teacher would give us a tray with various ingredients and each kitchen had to come up with a different dish using those ingredients. Other times we would all have to make a specified dish following the same recipe. Vegetable Fried rice was one of the dishes where we followed a recipe but it was so easy to make!
Start by cooking your rice (or better yet, grab leftover rice from the fridge if you have it). In the meantime chop up the celery, carrots and cabbage and place a skillet on the stove to heat up. Add the veggies to the hot oil and cook until softened. Next add in all the spices, soy sauce, vinegar and rice. Mix all that up and make a well in the middle for the egg. Once the egg is scrambled, that’s it, time to eat!
Vegetable Fried Rice
An easy fried rice recipe. Made with brown rice, celery, carrots, cabbage and an egg.
Write a review
- 1 Cup of Cooked Brown Rice
- 1 Large Egg
- 2-3 Celery Heart Stalks, chopped
- 1/4 Head Cabbage, chopped,
- 2 tablespoon of Soy Sauce
- 2 teaspoons of White Wine Vinegar
- 1/4-1/2 Teaspoon of Salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- 1/8 Teaspoon of Ginger
- 1/2 Teaspoon Granulated Garlic
- 1/4 Cup Shredded Carrots
- 1 Tablespoon Saffllower Oil
- Sauté cabbage, celery and carrots in oil over medium heat, until softened.
- Add in spices, soy sauce, vinegar and rice.
- Mix that all together and then make a well in the center of the skillet.
- Crack the egg into the well and stir constantly, scrambling in place until the egg is cooked through.